Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Review: The Hole



Title: The Hole
Author: Guy Burt
Publication Date: May 28, 2002
Genre: Horror/Psychological/Suspense/Thriller
Recommended If You Like: creepy reads, psychological horror

The Book:

Five students descend into a secret room on campus, locked in by a fellow student as part of what they believe will be the greatest prank yet. But when no one comes to let them out, they begin to realize they might be part of a far more terrifying psychological experiment instead.

What I Liked:

This is a creepy, suspenseful, gripping read. Burt uses flashbacks of "the Hole" expertly to both lead the reader on and keep them guessing.

The last chapter adds a whole other dimension to the story, and was definitely a major twist. I thought it was really clever-I love an ending that has me thinking back through the book to see what I missed and how everything fits.

Anything I Didn't Like?

Some of the sections moved really slowly, especially some of the flashbacks in "the Hole" early on in the story.

So...?

This is a really quick read-it just took me a few hours-and a gripping, scary, interesting one. It's worth picking up. The movie version is really good, and is actually one of those very rare occasions when I prefer the movie slightly to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment